Sunday, October 26, 2014

Houston, we have a problem.


In preparation for my upcoming 'yes' november, I decided that I should probably get a head start and begin signing myself up for every dating site I can think of. Subsequently,  I am now a proud member of Okcupid, Match, Plenty of Fish and Tinder. I have come to realize very quickly that dating via online is very much like having a second job. I am getting update after update of every wink, nudge, like, message that comes across my path...and let me just tell you, there is a lot of 'interesting' men to sift through.
So as I was starting to feel a bit discouraged I came across a guy that I thought looked half decent and with no apparent warning signs in his write up. Being the 'new november' dating girl that I have become, I decided to do something out of the ordinary and send him a message first. Well, low and behold I get a response and we begin to message back and forth. It was flirty, it was sweet, it was everything a girl could hope for except for when he dropped the line "I'm actually in Houston right now on a business trip till next Saturday." Very innocent. I decided to be the patient woman I am and thought, maybe this is it?! What a coincidence that he gets back into Vancouver the day my november challenge begins, what a way to kick off the month...fate right?!
Nope. Not fate.
It is then I receive the next message..."do you have skype?"
Now, there is something I need to clarify. As a girl who has been single for a good portion of life I have now learned that this line does not actually mean 'lets have a nice chat over skype and get to know eachother'. This is just the virtual equivalent of a dick pic, and quite frankly at this point in my life my eyes have been violated enough.
I could be wrong...maybe he is a very nice guy who is ACTUALLY in Houston, Texas. But I highly doubt that is the case. So when I respond with a "no I don't, how about we meet up when you get back?" and never heard from him again, I believe I know the answer to my question. That there is a very high probability that this is a man, sitting at home in some basement, thousands of miles away from Texas.
Regardless, every smart single girl knows...it's not ALL bigger in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment