Sunday, October 19, 2014

What's more intimate than a phone call?


Texting.

The seemingly perfect tool for dating. It's quick, none threatening, immediate responses, causal. So many good qualities that I can't imagine a world without it, let alone a dating world without it. And yet, as I was debriefing my girl friends on the last guy that was giving me the run around, my friend came out with the most shocking sentence, "Why don't you just call him?"
Call him? I suddenly started to get nervous. I couldn't call him, we hadn't reached THAT point in our relationship yet.
Confused, my friend who has been in a relationship for the last 10 years, suddenly made a statement that I just can't seem to get out of my head. "You are comfortable enough to sleep with a guy, but you can't call him?"
I was stumped. Since when did a simple phone call become such a scary and bold move?
I remember back to my high school days where calling was the only way to get a hold of a friend/boy friend. It didn't seem so scary then, so why as a grown confident woman in my late 20s does that seem like the most terrifying dating act? How has talking on the phone become a milestone like meeting the parents or saying I love you? I wonder if I can break this cycle. All it really takes is one person to start, right? So this is my goal: the next man I date, I try calling him. Lets see how fast I scare off all of mankind ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment